This week the Summer Challenge is all about creativity! Creativity is not just about art. It's about using your imagination to create something or to solve a problem (or both). We hope that this theme will inspire you to get creative with your kids. Read a book or books that feature creativity or clever problem-solving, then do something creative together. You could create a work of art, encourage your kids to build something amazing with blocks or play with loose parts, or think up a clever solution to a small problem (like how to arrange a bookshelf or keep the squirrels out of the garden). There's no end to the possibilities!
Ideas for books to read:
- Drawn Together by Dan Santat, a family story in which art helps a grandfather and grandson cross the language barrier.
- Fern and Horn by Marie-Louise Gay. This is an imaginative story about two siblings' creative competitiveness.
- Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen. A clever and creative story about knitting, and sharing, and spreading joy and color throughout your community.
- Kate, Who Tamed the Wind by Liz Garton Scanlon, illustrated by Lee White. A story about a girl who comes up with a clever solution to a blustery problem.
Ideas for things do discuss:
- Are artistic skill and creativity the same thing? Why or why not?
- In what ways were the characters being creative in the story?
- Everyone is creative in some way. What makes your creativity shine through?
- Talk about a time during which you had to think creatively to solve a problem.
- How can you combine creativity with other things, like math or cooking?
Ideas for things do do:
- Draw or paint a character from a book in a new scene or situation.
- Brainstorm alternate endings to a story.
- Do some research into how an illustrator created the pictures in one of your favorite books. Try that form of art yourself if possible.
- Write and illustrate your own story.
- Build a home for a book character out of blocks or craft materials.
- Create a project inspired by the book, whether that book is about art, a clever invention, or some other way of being creative.