Some recommended reads:
Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story by Kevin Noble Maillard, illustrated by Juana Martinez-Neal. This is a delightfully warm book about a traditional Native American food and how it connects Native American families across the country.
In a Jar by Deborah Marcero. This book is an endearing and magical story about making friends and creating memories.
A Couch for Llama by Leah Gilbert. This may not seem like a family story at first glance, but it is! It's a funny story in which a family has to solve an unusual problem when their new couch falls off the top of the car while they are driving home.
Enemy Pie by Derek Munson, illustrated by Tara Calahan King. This is a funny yet poignant story about friendship.
- What are some of your family's favorite things to do together?
- What makes your family unique and special?
- Have you ever had to solve an unexpected problem with your family or friends?
- Tell about a time when you made a new friend.
- What are some fun things to do with a group of friends?
Ideas for things to do:
- Make a new recipe together.
- Read a book, then watch the movie together. Some possibilities: Mars Needs Moms, Boss Baby, Shrek, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, The Cat in the Hat.
- Host a game night.
- Do a group art project.
- Go outside and play catch, ride bikes, or play at the park.
- Check out the Summer Challenge calendar for more ideas.
Let us know how you take on this challenge by leaving a comment and/or sharing with #RDDSummerChallenge on social media. Have fun during your Together Time! And remember: You don't have to do these challenges in order. Just have fun reading, discussing, and doing together.