Welcome to week 1 of the Read, Discuss, Do! Summer Challenge! This week's challenge is fun and delicious! What better way to celebrate the beginning of summer than with some great books and tasty treats? We challenge you to read and discuss one or more books that feature some kind of tasty treat, and share a tasty treat together. You can grab popsicles out of the freezer, bake some cookies, head to a doughnut shop--it's up to you! The point is to enjoy reading and connecting with your kids by combining books with summer fun (and treats).
Some recommended reads:
Dozens of Doughnuts by Carrie Finison, illustrated by Brianne Farley. Featured treat: DOUGHNUTS! This is a fun and charming story about friendship and sharing.
When Grandma Gives You a Lemon Tree by Jamie L. B. Deenihan, illustrated by Lorraine Rocha. Featured treat: LEMONADE! This is a sweet and funny story about a little girl who receives an unwanted birthday gift, but learns to appreciate it. This book includes a simple recipe for homemade lemonade.
Oh Look, a Cake! by J.C. McKee. Featured treat: CAKE! Who doesn't love cake, right? Some people find it irresistible (like the characters in this book). This story is funny and silly and has a surprise ending.
For more recommended reads, check out this list of picture books that include recipes.
Some discussion ideas:
- Talk about the story. What is your favorite part? Did you like how it ended? How might you have written the story differently?
- What treat is featured in the story? Is that something you've tried before? Did you like it or not?
- What is your favorite "tasty treat" to enjoy during the summer?
- Is there a recipe in the book you read? Prepare it together!
- Try an easy strawberry shortcake, like this one from All Recipes.
- Go out for donuts or ice cream.
- Look at the Summer Challenge Calendar for more ideas!