You’re the Hugs to my Kisses (Zonderkidz, 2022), written by Barbara Herndon with illustrations by Diane Ewen, is an engaging choice for Valentine’s Day or any time of year. Full of clever rhymes that celebrate the joy of loving others and embracing the special connections loved ones share, Barbara’s bouncy text is a delight to read. Diane Ewan’s illustrations stand out for their colorful and diverse cast of people of all ages enjoying each others’ company in various ways.
Read: You’re the Hugs to my Kisses by Barbara Herndon and Diane Ewen
- What made this book fun to read?
- What was your favorite “you’re the ______ to my _____” description? Why was it your favorite?
- Who are some special people in your life?
- How would you describe them using the “you’re the ______ to my _____” format?
- Inspired by the story, brainstorm a batch of your own “you’re the ____ to my ____” descriptions. Ex: “You’re the sparkle to my lights”, “You’re the salsa to my tacos”, “”You’re the frosting to my cake” etc.
- Taking a blank postcard, write the one that best matches your special person on one side of the card. Then illustrate it using markers or crayons.
- On the other side, write a short note telling your special person why they are special to you.
- Address the card. Then add a stamp and pop it in the mail!