It's the official launch day for Read, Discuss, Do!'s new home on the web! Thank you for dropping by! We are all set to kick off the fun with a SUMMER CHALLENGE aimed at getting you and the young readers in your life (offspring, grandkids, day care tots?) engaging together through book-inspired discussions and activities!
This is not your ordinary summer reading program. There's no need to keep a log or count pages or track minutes spent reading. This challenge is all about sharing books and engaging in book-related fun while strengthening connections between readers and, yes, keeping your kids reading through the summer. What better way to prevent the "summer slide"?
Your challenge then, should you choose to accept it, is as follows:
- Look for the weekly theme, shared each Friday from June 4 to August 13. The themes will be shared here on the website, in our newsletter and on social media (Instagram and Twitter).
- Each week, READ a book (or several) inspired by the theme with the children in your life. We'll recommend a few titles each week, but they are only suggestions.
- DISCUSS the books you read! Some general discussion topics could be: favorite characters, alternate endings, favorite part of the story, favorite illustration, if/how you can relate to the characters or situations, etc.
- DO a fun activity each week inspired by that week's reading. These activities are totally up to you and can be as simple as drawing a picture or as epic as going on a real life adventure.
- Share the fun on Instagram and Twitter using the hashtag #RDDSummerChallenge.